November 4, 2013

The 1920s in Dazzling Color

I disappeared for a while because I've been working on some writing projects.  I have however, been quite active on social media, so there are regular updates on Facebook, Google+, and Twitter.  Even if my updates on the Jazz Age Follies blog slow down, I am on the social networks, so I hope to see you there!

Clifton Royal Adams was a National Geographic photographer between 1920 and 1934.  He took photographs across America, Central America and Europe.  Autochrome was patented by the Lumière brothers in 1903, and the process was used to take color photos until the 1930s.  I've posted about Autochrome color photographs in the early 20th century, so I thought I'd share some from the 20s.



Women buying ice cream from a vendor's car.  Near St. Austel, Cornwall, England


 Hikers on Skelwith Bridge, between Westmoreland and Lancashire, England. 


Girls sending a letter in Belfast, Ireland.  


 Students on the terrace at Cornell University.


A woman in Newport.


Mexican girls in Nogales.

As National Geographic's first foreign correspondent, Maynard Owen Williams was another photographer who took color photos during the 20s.  He famously reported on the opening of King Tutankhamen's tomb in May 1923.  

 French woman in the early evening at Tete d'Or Park, Lyons, Rhone, France.

Raleigh Vintage has a lovely collection of photos from the 1920s that you can see here, here, and here.  Corbis also has a gallery of Maynard Owen Williams' vintage color photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment